As the year is almost coming to an end I thought I’d try to make a list of all the things that made me happy linguistically. This is a complete work in progress with examples put down simply as they came to my mind – please feel free to make your own additions!
- My mum naming herself as the sender of a letter, rather than my father
- Experimenting in Sprachrohrin – I really enjoyed trying different formats and styles to engage with language
- My partner replacing ‘man hours’ with ‘person hours’, and ‘manning’ with ‘staffing’ or ‘labour’ at work
- Meeting ‘das Ampelfrauchen’ (green woman) in Dresden
- Playing with language in general: my favourite word at the moment is ‘Long Janes’ (instead of ‘Long Johns’) – a must for female thermal fans
- Learning that MMI (Man Machine Interface) had been changed to HMI (Human Machine Interface) – engineers are linguistic pioneers!
- Reading, meeting and interacting with lots of great women who work in or are interested in gender and language
- Attending a conference where papers either used 'she' as the generic pronoun, or alternated between 'he' and 'she'
I’ll keep updating as the months go on…